Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

A Critical Evaluation of Magnetic Activated Carbon’s Potential for the Remediation of Sediment Impacted by Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons

Lookup NU author(s): Dr Zhantao Han, Badruddeen Sani, Professor David WernerORCiD



This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-ND).


Addition of activated carbon (AC) or biochar (BC) to sediment to reduce the chemical and biological availability of organic contaminants is a promising in-situ remediation technology. But concerns about leaving the adsorbed pollutants in place motivate research into sorbent recovery methods. This study explores the use of magnetic sorbents. A coal-based magnetic activated carbon (MAC) was identified as the strongest of four AC and BC derived magnetic sorbents for polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) remediation. An 8.1% MAC amendment (w/w, equal to 5% AC content) was found to be as effective as 5% (w/w) pristine AC in reducing aqueous PAHs within three months by 98%. MAC recovery from sediment after three months was 77%, and incomplete MAC recovery had both, positive and negative effects. A slight rebound of aqueous PAH concentrations was observed following the MAC recovery, but aqueous PAH concentrations then dropped again after six months, likely due to the presence of the 23% unrecovered MAC. On the other hand, the 77% recovery of the 8.1% MAC dose was insufficient to reduce ecotoxic effects of fine grained AC or MAC amendment on the egestion rate, growth and reproduction of the AC sensitive species Lumbriculus variegatus.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Han Z, Sani B, Akkanen J, Abel S, Nybom I, Karapanagioti H, Werner D

Publication type: Article

Publication status: Published

Journal: Journal of Hazardous Materials

Year: 2015

Volume: 286

Pages: 41-47

Print publication date: 09/01/2015

Online publication date: 19/12/2014

Acceptance date: 16/12/2014

Date deposited: 17/09/2015

ISSN (print): 0304-3894

ISSN (electronic): 1873-3336

Publisher: Elsevier


DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2014.12.030


Altmetrics provided by Altmetric


Funder referenceFunder name
Chinese Scholarship Council
Maj and Tor Nessling Foundation
Nigerian Petroleum Technology Development Fund
12120113102700China Geological Survey
1314RECI002Royal Academy of Engineering
41002088National Natural Science Foundation of China