Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Prognostic impact of extracapsular lymph node involvement after neoadjuvant therapy and oesophagectomy

Lookup NU author(s): Dr Maziar Navidi, Dr Kate Sumpter, Professor Michael Griffin


Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


Background: The significance of extracapsular lymph node involvement (LNI) is unclear in patients with oesophageal cancer who have undergone neoadjuvant treatment followed by oesophagectomy. The aim of this study was to assess the incidence and prognostic significance of extracapsular LNI in a large multicentre series of consecutive patients with oesophageal cancer treated by neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiotherapy and surgery.Methods: Data from a consecutive series of patients treated at two European centres were analysed. All patients with squamous cell carcinoma or adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus or gastro-oesophageal junction, who received neoadjuvant chemotherapy or chemoradiation followed by transthoracic oesophagectomy and two-field lymphadenectomy with curative intent, were included.Results: Between January 2000 and September 2013, 704 patients underwent oesophagectomy after neoadjuvant therapy. A median of 28 (range 5-77) nodes per patient was recovered. Some 347 patients (49.3 per cent) had no LNI (ypN0). Of the remaining 357 patients (50.7 per cent) with LNI (ypN1-3), extracapsular LNI was found in 190 (53.2 per cent). Five-year overall survival rates were 62.7 per cent for patients with N0 disease, 44.9 per cent for patients without extracapsular spread and 14.0 per cent where extracapsular LNI was identified (P < 0.001). Multivariable analyses demonstrated the presence of extracapsular LNI as an independent prognostic factor.Conclusion: The presence of extracapsular LNI after neoadjuvant therapy carries a poor prognosis.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Lagarde SM, Navidi M, Gisbertz SS, van Laarhoven HWM, Sumpter K, Meijer SL, Disep B, Immanuel A, Griffin SM, Henegouwen MIV

Publication type: Article

Publication status: Published

Journal: British Journal of Surgery

Year: 2016

Volume: 103

Issue: 12

Pages: 1658-1664

Print publication date: 01/11/2016

Online publication date: 03/10/2016

Acceptance date: 09/05/2016

ISSN (print): 0007-1323

ISSN (electronic): 1365-2168

Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.


DOI: 10.1002/bjs.10226


Altmetrics provided by Altmetric


Funder referenceFunder name
UVA 2013-5853Koningin Wilhelmina Fonds (KWF, Dutch Cancer Society) Fellowship