Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Patterns of biologic therapy use in the management of psoriasis: Cohort study from the British Association of Dermatologists Biologic Interventions Register (BADBIR)

Lookup NU author(s):

Downloads

Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


Abstract

© 2017 British Association of Dermatologists. Background: Treatment modifications, including dose escalations, dose reductions, switches, discontinuations and restarts of biologics may be necessary in the management of psoriasis but the patterns of usage are incompletely defined. Objectives: To examine the treatment utilization patterns of adalimumab, etanercept and ustekinumab among biologic-naïve and non-naïve patients with psoriasis enrolled in the British Association of Dermatologists Biologic Interventions Register (BADBIR). Methods: The study cohort included adults with chronic plaque psoriasis who were followed up for ≥ 12 months. Treatment modifications were assessed during the first year of therapy. The time-trend method, comparing the cumulative dose (CD) patients received with the recommended cumulative dose (RCD), was used to assess dosing patterns. Concomitant use of other systemic treatments was also examined. Results: In total, 2980 patients (adalimumab: 1675; etanercept: 996; ustekinumab: 309) were included; 79·2% were biologic-naïve. Over 12 months, 77·4% of patients continued the biologic, 2·6% restarted therapy after a break of ≥ 90 days, 2·5% discontinued, and 17·5% switched biologic therapy. Most patients (85·7%) received the RCD of the biologic, although 8·1% were exposed to a higher CD. In total, 749 (25·1%) patients used conventional systemic therapies concomitantly with a biologic at some stage; methotrexate was used most commonly (458; 61·2%). Of those using combination therapy, 454 (60·6%) continued the use of the conventional systemic therapy for > 120 days after the start of the biologic. Conclusions: More than one-third of patients experienced treatment modifications within the first year of initiating a biologic. Conventional systemic therapies, particularly methotrexate, were commonly used concurrently, which should be considered when evaluating treatment response and adverse events to biologics in real-world observational studies.


Publication metadata

Author(s): Iskandar IYK, Ashcroft DM, Warren RB, Evans I, Mcelhone K, Owen CM, Burden AD, Smith CH, Reynolds NJ, Griffiths CEM

Publication type: Article

Publication status: Published

Journal: British Journal of Dermatology

Year: 2017

Volume: 177

Issue: 5

Pages: 1297-1307

Print publication date: 01/05/2017

Online publication date: 02/09/2016

Acceptance date: 16/08/2016

ISSN (print): 0007-0963

ISSN (electronic): 1365-2133

Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell

URL: https://doi.org/10.1111/bjd.15027

DOI: 10.1111/bjd.15027


Altmetrics

Altmetrics provided by Altmetric


Actions

Find at Newcastle University icon    Link to this publication


Share