Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Population coding of stimulus location in rat somatosensory cortex

Lookup NU author(s): Dr Stefano Panzeri


Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


This study explores the nature of population coding in sensory cortex by applying information theoretic analyses to neuron pairs recorded simultaneously from rat barrel cortex. We quantified the roles of individual spikes and spike patterns in encoding whisker stimulus location. 82%-85% of the total information was contained in the timing of individual spikes: first spike time was particularly crucial. Spike patterns within neurons accounted for the remaining 15%-18%. Neuron pairs located in the same barrel column coded redundantly, whereas pairs in neighboring barrel columns coded independently. The barrel cortical population code for stimulus location appears to be the time of single neurons' first poststimulus spikes - a fast, robust coding mechanism that does not rely on "synergy" in crossneuronal spike patterns.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Petersen RS, Panzeri S, Diamond ME

Publication type: Article

Publication status: Published

Journal: Neuron

Year: 2001

Volume: 32

Issue: 3

Pages: 503-514

ISSN (print): 0896-6273

ISSN (electronic): 1097-4199

Publisher: Cell Press


DOI: 10.1016/S0896-6273(01)00481-0

PubMed id: 11709160


Altmetrics provided by Altmetric


Funder referenceFunder name