Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Remediation of acidic colliery spoil leachate in a hybrid passive treatment system comprising a permeable reactive barrier, ponds and a reedbed (Shilbottle, Northumberland, UK)

Lookup NU author(s): Professor Paul Younger, Mahmoud Moustafa


Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


Highly acidic spoil leachates at the former Shilbottle Grange Colliery site (Northumberland, UK) have been constrained to flow through a permeable reactive barrier (PRB) containing a mixture of limestone gravel, horse manure and composted green waste. Leachates leave the PRB through a seepage face, draining into ponds and a reedbed. Iron concentrations decrease across the system from >800 mg 1-1 to ∼10 mg 1-1. Iron loading reduction is about 98%. While pH rises from 4 to 6 in the PRB, subsequent precipitation of metals as hydroxides and hydroxysulphates leads to the apparent paradox of simultaneous decreases in both total acidity and pH. The PRB removes about 30% of the sulphate (by reductive precipitation of metal sulphides), while the lagoons and reed bed together remove another 20% (as hydroxy-sulphate precipitates). The system as a whole reduces the sulphate content of the raw water by 50%.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Younger PL, Moustafa M

Editor(s): Boshoff, GA; Bone, BD

Publication type: Book Chapter

Publication status: Published

Book Title: Permeable Reactive Barriers

Year: 2005

Volume: 298

Pages: 117-122

Print publication date: 01/01/2005

Publisher: IAHS Press

Place Published: London


Library holdings: Search Newcastle University Library for this item

ISBN: 9781901502237