Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Multidisciplinary management of head and neck sarcomas

Lookup NU author(s): Dr Charles Kelly, Neil McLean


Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


Background. Head and neck sarcomas are extremely rare. This article reviews the management and outcomes in a multidisciplinary clinic. Methods. The records of 41 male and 19 female patients (mean age, 50 years) were reviewed. Forty percent underwent surgical resection only, 35% underwent surgery and adjuvant therapy, and 25% underwent radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy without surgery. Seventy-one percent had complete histologic clearance. Results. The mean follow-up was 3 years and 10 months, with an overall 5-year survival rate of 60%. Completeness of surgical excision was highly significant in determining 5-year local control (p <.025), and the addition of adjuvant radiotherapy had a major effect on local control, but only if complete surgical clearance had been achieved (p <.025). As expected, patients with more aggressive tumors had a significantly poorer overall prognosis, and achieving local control led to an enhanced 5-year survival (p <.025). Conclusion. These tumors are best managed in multidisciplinary clinics, and the mainstay of treatment is wide local excision and planned postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy. (c) 2005 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Colville RJ, Chariton F, Kelly CG, Nicoll JJ, McLean NR

Publication type: Conference Proceedings (inc. Abstract)

Publication status: Published

Conference Name: Head & Neck: Summer Meeting of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons

Year of Conference: 2005

Pages: 814-824

ISSN: 1043-3074

Publisher: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.


DOI: 10.1002/hed.20232

Library holdings: Search Newcastle University Library for this item

ISBN: 10970347