Toggle Main Menu Toggle Search

Open Access padlockePrints

Stress and displacement effects due to subsurface barriers laid under cement concrete runways

Lookup NU author(s): Dr John Bull, Dr Chris Woodford


Full text for this publication is not currently held within this repository. Alternative links are provided below where available.


The introduction of a polystyrene subsurface barrier layer directly beneath a cement concrete runway will reduce the ground shock effects and runway cracking due to an underground explosion. By modelling the underground void (camouflet) formed by the explosion, and applying a uniform pressure load to the runway, it was found that the polystyrene barrier increased runway deflection, with the increase being less over the camouflet than over the undisturbed subgrade. Further, by comparing the results of the computer models both with and without the polystyrene layer, it was shown that the polystyrene layer reduced stresses for 72% of the load case/stress position combinations considered, and increased it for the remaining 28%. A means of identifying the location of a camouflet is described.

Publication metadata

Author(s): Woodford CH; Bull JW

Publication type: Article

Publication status: Published

Journal: Computers and Structures

Year: 2000

Volume: 78

Issue: 1

Pages: 375-383

Print publication date: 01/11/2000

ISSN (print): 0045-7949

ISSN (electronic): 1879-2243

Publisher: Pergamon


DOI: 10.1016/S0045-7949(00)00098-5


Altmetrics provided by Altmetric